PADI Open Water referral is for anyone who has already completed theory and pool training sessions at home with a PADI or SSI training center and wants to complete the remaining open water dives while on vacation in Phuket. Phuket Dive Tours will help you complete your full Open Water referral & certification in 1 or 2 days.
Phuket Dive Tours scuba diving training centers accept referrals from both PADI & SSI open water course students. In 2017 we received 2 awards from PADI who proudly recognised both our outstanding contributions to the diving industry as well as awarded us the prestigious PADI 5 Star rating. Later in March 2018 SSI (Scuba schools International) joined us to offer customers even more choices on scuba diving education. As our team of Pro instructors is licensed to teach both SSI & PADI courses you are not restricted to options and we can advise each customer who may be a little doubtful about what course schedule would suit their course time frame, expectations & overall experience and budget.
In August 2018 we commenced development with the extension at our Kata beach location creating a unique dive resort for beginners with a purpose-built private dive pool, this is due to open in late October 2018. The resort will offer affordable Bungalows with an onsite restaurant, and massage with the advantage of being 100m from the main Beach at Kata and local nightlife
Open water referrals from Padi & SSI are available.
The Open Water Diver Course has introduced millions of people to the adventurous diving lifestyle and the spectacular sights of the underwater kingdom. We have many schedules available all depending on customers’ choice and the time they have available.
Referrals Modules that you will have completed already.
- Dive theory – you should have already completed the Knowledge Development sections in the Open Water Diver Course manual; complete quizzes under the guidance of your Instructor to verify understanding; complete the Course Final Exam with 75% or more questions correct. you will need to have a copy with you that you can forward to us to prove this.
- Confined Water skills practice – Learn the dive skills you will need to scuba dive. this will have already been signed off at the previous shop as part of the referral documentation
Open Water training dives you will need to complete with us.
- Open Water skills mastery – is defined as completing and reviewing all the scuba skills and the diver training with 4 Open Water Dives on a Diving Boat.or at the beach if conditions allow
- you may have already completed 1 or 2 open water dives and then only need to take 2 more to get certified – you can choose between 1 to 4 open water training dives needed for your certification
Most visitors to the island who are intent on getting open water scuba certified take the SSI options that offers more Bang for your Bucks, the SSI brand offers free digital C card & digital log book all available online on your Phone as an APP so you can access your dive card and logbook for free the day you complete the course anytime anywhere. One of the better points being that your plastic SSI open water certification card will be given to you the day you get certified by your instructor.
You can crossover from PADI referral to SSI open water easily.
When you first signed up for the open water course you may have already paid for the certification costs with the previous dive shop, our prices are based that you are up to date and ready for the open water dives. Prices can vary if you are unable to recall or don’t feel confident if its been say 6 months from the last time you were in the pool please let us know in advance.
If you already signed up and completed the PADI eLearning or SSI digital learning theory and exam then the certification fees are included in the course fees you paid already – you will have been issued a course code number for the online e-learning – it you have this number then we can discount the course fees of 1000 thb from our listed prices. If you are unsure then its better that you contact your previous training facility now.
At Phuket Dive Tours quality matter, our open water referral certification integrates perfectly into the daily logistics of everyday holiday life, we offer both beach courses and boat options in high season, and boat only in low season
( SSI Open water certification cards are printed on the day you complete the course and you can collect the card from your instructor when you step off the boat)
(PADI Open water certification cards are mailed directly to you home address by PADI )
Like any training course if you pre-studied and have the pool and exam done you are well ahead. It is important to remember that the top globally recognized agencies are simply brands all offer training courses that meet the same international standards. Worth pointing out at this point it’s the Instructor that has the biggest influence on the quality of the courses and the divers they produce. Our Instructors are hand-picked from the diving community of Phuket.
SSI and PADI are global leaders in the diving industry for the last 50 years, when it comes to Dive course materials and education there’s simply no other agencies that comes anywhere near to certifying divers worldwide. Its irrelevant what open water course reading materials you choose as both SSI & PADI brands are similar in many ways each conforms to the international standards for diving education ISO 24803:2017. Both are certified by the WRSTC (World Recreational Scuba Training Council) and the ISO/EUF (International Standards Organisation/European Underwater Federation). The knowledge and skill requirements are almost identical which means certifications are equivalent, interchangeable and recognized globally.
Open Water referral skills:
So when you were in the pool you completed dive safety skills and training now its time to go out diving – You will complete between 1 to 4 Open Water (dives in the ocean) depending on the stage you left the last dive shop – these training dives are completed over 1 or two days of the referral course. These dives are conducted at some of the many local islands and coral reefs where you can enjoy some of the most beautiful diving in Phuket
Dive course prices locations and combo packages
Why do we include beach diving as an Option (available Mid November – May) for Open water dives course? This is simply common sense to some people, If you are short on Holiday time then the open water course at the beach will save you 5 hours on Days 2 and 3 in comparison to Boat Diving. If You get seasick, dont want to be on overcrowded boats then these first 2 beach courses formulas maybe a wiser choice
Beach dives allow you to spend more time with your family and less time in minivans or on boats!
Bungalow rooms available ask for details
Open Water Dive Certification prices includes:
- Full set of personalised, fitted diving equipment for the duration of the course.
- We will show you how to use a dive computer and why every diver needs one
- Food, drinks, snacks, meals on all Boat Diving.
Referral prices and course options
This is the best option for those short on holiday time: beach diving is available just 100 meters from Phuket Dive Tours’ Kata beach Dive shop, cutting down on travel time by Beach diving will save you holiday time – most dive shops wont offer beach options –
Formula 1 Beach Dive (ask for availability and conditions between May and November)
- 1 Beach dives Kata Beach – Morning / afternoon beach dives available
- Price Start 3500 THB
Formula 2 Beach Dive (ask for availability and conditions between May and November)
- 2 dives Kata Beach – Morning / afternoon beach dives available
- Price Start 4500 THB
Formula 3 Beach dives Kata Beach (ask for availability and conditions between May and November)
- 3 dives Kata Beach – full Day
- Price Start 5500 THB
Formula 4 = 2 Days 2 beach + 2 boat dives (ask for availability and conditions between May and November)
- Day 1 Open Water referral dive 2 dives Kata Beach
- Day 2 – Open Water referral dives – 2 Boat dives at Racha Yai Island day trip
- Price 7000
Formula 5 = 2 Days 4 boat dives
- Day 1 Open Water referral dives 2 Boat dives at Racha Yai Island day trip
- Day 2 Open Water referral dives 2 Boat dives at Racha Yai Island day trip
- Price Start 10000 thb
Formula 6 = 2 Days 5 boat dives
- Day 1 Open Water referral dives 2 Boat dives at Racha Yai Island day trip
- Day 2 Open Water referral dives 3 Boat dives at Racha Yai Island day trip
- Price Start 10500 thb
- All Beach open water course referral courses come with full set of dive equipment – (no transfers included on beach options)
Recent new Thai law has banned all training dives at the main Phi Phi Dive sites this includes open water Training – diving at Phi Phi is physically demanding day trip of up to 12/ 13hr and simply no fun for students
If You want to take a dive course and dive at Phi Phi then staying at Phi Phi, its logistically better for you in the long term..
Choosing The Best Dive sites options for your course.
As a referral diving student, the choice of open water dive sites for your training dives is often determined by the dive shop, Many shops don’t offer any flexible choices or alternatives to long boat rides, some will focus only 6 dives (4 training dives and 2 extra dives) We dont feel the need to pass off additional course dives as extra free dives as part of some cheap marketing strategy.
The dive sites around Phuket are diverse when it comes to marine life and its often the case that the better deeper water sites do have better variation of marine life, however its worth knowing now that you then have to travel much further, as much as 3 hours to Phi Phi Islands. Remember this is a scuba diving course and not an endurance test when opting for Phi Phi Island Diving. Remote islands like Phi Phi often have restrictive conditions at the premier dive sites and these may not be available meaning boats often redirect in low season to the not-so-popular reefs, this can often detract from your enjoyment specifically in late December 24th to January 10th due to the sheer demand. If Choosing Phi Phi you should note that you can spend 4 hrs traveling prior to making your first dive of the day at around 11 am and Often more than not taking a 6 dive option would result in a very late returns
As customers we give you flexible options – you have the choice to buy the referral course you want, based on the time you have available, and the price you want to Pay. –
The open water course beach diving option is shorter on time due to a shorter transfer time to dive sites from our Dive shops. we are 100m from the beach and local reef.
Pre course sign up information.
- Fit To Dive read this Medical Statement & Questionnaire for Open Water Diver Health Check .
- Remember 18- 24 hours no Fly after a scuba dive
- we will require full proof that you are ready for the open water dives this comes as a document that you provide to us that must be counter-signed in advance of attending by the instructor and dive shop that first took you on as a student
- To register for the Open Water referral course, you must be 10 years old.
- There’s a medical form for any scuba diving activity: you need to read this and sign to confirm you have no medical conditions that can affect your safety. If you declare a medical condition on the form you will not be able to dive without signed clearance from a doctor. Read the medical form and consult a doctor if necessary prior to signing up.
Why you should book your course with Phuket Dive Tours.
- 2 British Managed Dive shop with 10 years experience – employing British Instructors making Diving courses safe and Fun.
- Onsite dive pool 15m long 8m wide containing 252,000 lts of pool water
- We dont employ Young inexperienced instructors with inflated Egos! or employ Interns willing to work for Free.
- We are Student Training Center at the entry beginner level – we focus on Beginners…We don’t train Instructors then use them as free labor to teach you.
- All our instructors have many years experience, extensive knowledge of the local dive sites, all holding valid visas and work permits.
- Reputation, we have excellent reviews and customer feedback for quality services and customer care.
- VALUE, with our Diving courses we have low overheads so we pass savings back to customers.
- We offer Kata Beach dives in high season November to April as a shorter course option allowing you more time to do other holiday activities
- You can tell us if you want extra time with the instructor or access different training formulas for the open water dives to suit you.
- We tell customers that the location of your hotel and traffic jams can add an extra 1 hour to traveling per day if staying in Patong.
- The Best Location for your course and diving Holiday is Kata Beach meaning shorter travelling times often in private transport.
- If you are staying in Patong and have booked a Dive Course you can expect to get picked up at 7am.
- We refund 100% any cancellation for courses by Phone call made before 10am the previous day of a course starting.
- We dont charge extra for Group Private courses if pre-booked 2 weeks in advance.
Additional Open water course options
If you are thinking of an Open water course option then you may want to consider combining the Open Water referral with the Enriched Air Nitrox Specialty program
You will earn the Open Water Diver and Enriched Air Nitrox (32% or 40%) Specialty certifications after completing these programs SSI has free online eLearning training materials for Nitrox .
Risk Awareness video for Open water referral course.
Related diving courses
- If you feel that you need more time and extra Scuba diving lessons to hone your scuba diving skills in the pool, we can extend the Open Water referral Course giving you more time with your instructor and revisiting aspects of the course to suit your individual needs.
- Note: additional course/boat/Instructor fees would naturally apply to any extension of your course.
Scuba diving in Phuket FAQ’s
For more information on choosing the right training course for you click here
Transfer times to Dive Boats
Our Office is located at Kata Beach, we have Daily Free Local Departures/transfers from all Hotels in the following resorts :-travelling time to Chalong marina is around 15 minutes
Free Transfers Day 2 and 3 from 7:15- 7:30 Patong – 7:30 7:45 Kata Beach – Karon Beach – halong Bay (Transfers to boat 15 Mins )
Extra Charge Private car Transfer fee per day 7:00am Ban Tao & Surin Beach 1,600thb – Maikhao Beach – Ban Tao – Airport Area 1,500 THB
Extra Charge Transfer fees per day – 7:00am Cape Panwa +1000 thb – 7.00am Koh Siray 1000 Tthb – 7.15am Phuket Town + 1000 thb Rawai Beach – Nai Harn – 500thb
The tour itineraries can be change depend on the local weather condition any changes will be made by the tour leader and boat captain on your trip based on matters of safety
Buy Now online – 100% refund back into your account within 12 hours if the trip is cancelled due to Bad weather – we dont take any money when mother nature stops the scuba diving